How do I receive alerts for only some of services I am a contact for?

Tobias Klausmann klausman at schwarzvogel.de
Fri Jul 4 09:49:57 CEST 2008

Hi!

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008, Matthew Jurgens wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone can think of a better way to configure the
> following scenario:
>
> Assume I have 2 services being monitored, service1 and service2.
> User1 wants to be able to see both services through the CGI interface and
> hence is defined as a contact for both of them.
> User1 wants notifications for service1 but NEVER for service2.
>
> The only way I can think of setting this up is as follows:
>
>   1. Turn off all notifications for User1. This is the
>      username/password the person logs into the CGI with.
>   2. Create another user called User1_notifications. No one ever logs
>      in as this user but it has the same contact details eg email etc
>      as User1. User1_notifications has notifications enabled.
>   3. Setup User1_notifications as a contact for service1 only.
>
> Hence when service1 alerts User1 will never get alerted (notifications are
> off), User1_notifications will get alerted (and its really the same person
> as User1).
> When service2 alerts, User1 will never get alerted (notifications are off)
> and User1_notifications will also not get alerted (as they are not even a
> contact).
>
> Its a little bit ugly having to declare the contact twice, but at the
> moment its the only way I can think of achieving this.
>
> Any ideas appreciated.

We have solved this in the following way:

- Every user gets a normal account for the web interface (usually
  named firstname.lastname). This has a non-delivering
  notification script and notification_options is set to "n".

- For every delivery method (mail, sms, phone calli, ...)
  desired, a user gets an appropriate contact
  (firstname.lastname-mail etc) which is added to the relevant
  services, naturally with the corresponding notification scripts
  and options.

This works surprisingly well. Factor in inheritance (i.e. re-use
the normal contact everyone has in the notification contacts) and
the configuration even stays manageable with a larger number of
users. We currently have 253 users and 189 contact groups and
this system works well for us.

Regards,
Tobias

--