Nagios and automatic configuration

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jan 31 14:13:39 CET 2008

On Jan 31, 2008, at 3:06 AM, Jan Marquardt wrote:

> First of all thank you all for your responses.
>
> Just to make sure if I understand correctly: It is possible to
> generate
> configuration files from entries in a database. It is not necessary
> that
> there is already a plugin for this purpose. I think our programmers
> would be able to develop something for our needs.

Certainly. It's just taking the information in the database and
creating formatted text files with it. Using static templates makes
thing even easier. Nagios doesn't care if the files it reads were
created by a person or a script as long as they're formatted properly.
Script the creation of host and service config files from the DB
information, reload nagios and away you go. It's been working
successfully here, every hour, every day for about 7 years. If you
don't want to code it yourself there are front-ends that other have
created at http://nagiosexchange.org. perhaps one of those will meet
your needs.

> I am asking these stupid questions, because someone who is already
> using
> Nagios, told us that it is not possible to add hosts and services in a
> automatic way in general.

There are many ways to define automatic. I'd say that all of them are
possible to some degree but can be very complex and all require
external coding.

-
Marc