Monitoring CPU usage on SMP linux machines

Edson Manners emanners at fsu.edu
Wed Jan 30 23:20:47 CET 2008

Hi,
       I haven't been able to find a solution to this through google or
the ngaios . I had previously made
a custom script to get CPU data from snmpd using OID
1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.11.9 for Linux and OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.3.1.2
for windows. However the Linux machines snmpd implementation don't seem
to take SMP CPUs into account and
I am getting back bogus data.

My question is how are others monitoring CPU usage on SMP Linux servers
using nagios?
Thanks