Front ends?

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 10:40:48 CET 2008

Hi all,

I am a bit of a Nagios newbie, and currently trying to implement a
Nagios based solution around our systems.

My most pressing problem is that of providing a simplified view of the
state of the system - a dashboard. Actually several dashboards, as
different (groups of) users have different requirements. (Note this is
just for publishing information - I'm not bothered about configuration
for now)

In a perfect world....

- the users would have some control over what gets reported, subject
to either selection from an approved shortlist, or a request/approval
approach.

- this could be displayed in a compact layout in an iframe or
otherwise embedded within other HTML pages.

Looking at the descriptions of projects in NagiosExchange...

Dashboard - seems to come close to what I need, but I'd need to setup
mod_python to get it running, and if its not what we need, we have no
Python skills here (PHP and C, no problem). The documentation provided
is not as good as it might be (where do I put this configuration?)

Groundwork Status viewer - is no longer at the link provided, I can
find the whole groundwork package - should I try to get something
working out of this?

Nagios Looking Glass - Looking at the docs I don't get the impression
that this provides a lot of facility for customizing what is actually
reported on (of course my impressions could be totally wrong)

Are these products likely to meet my needs? Worth the effort?

I'm not averse to writing some code (probably in PHP) - but I've not
yet been able to find any docs on how to get status information out of
nagios - anybody got some links?

TIA

C.