Nagios LAN or DMZ?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Jan 28 00:01:20 CET 2008

On Jan 26, 2008, at 8:56 AM, shacky wrote:

>> Install Nagios on the LAN. Then let Nagios contact the NRPE
>> instance in
>> your DMZ.
>
> Ok, thank you very much! I'm doing right :-)
>
> I have another question for you.
> I monitor the Internet (WAN) connection through a simply check_ping
> service, but I need to make all the remote services dependently from
> it and from the local DNS service.
> How I have to configure Nagios if I want it not to notify me all the
> remote services critical status if the WAN connection or the local DNS
> service don't work (but of course I want to receive the notification

Why are you dependent on the DNS service? Your monitoring should be as
independent of other services as possible and this is a case where
it's easily possible. There's no real reason you should be dependent
on DNS except for possibly monitoring of dynamic hosts. Use IP's or if
you really feel you must use FQDN's, put them in your hosts file. When
your DNS service goes down, you don't want it taking down your entire
monitoring system with it.

--
Marc