Service checks on hosts which are not up 24x7

Jan Kohnert nospam001-lists at jankoh.dyndns.org
Sun Jan 27 01:21:09 CET 2008

Hugo van der Kooij schrieb:
> If you setup dependencies correctly you should get close to the
> requested results. Say you ping them every minute and make sure that the
> ping service goes into hard state at the third failure it will just fail
> that service.
>
> Make all other service dependent on that and make sure they do not reach
> hard state before ping does.

Ah, I begin to understand. I have ping checks for the machines, so I just need
to add some statements. :) Thanks for clearifying my mind. I was just a bit
confused about that dependency stuff...

> Now only ping will be able to bother you an if you choose not to notify
> on that you should have no notifications when these machines are
> switched off.

I just get a note, that the host is down. This is the behavior I like to have
and it already works that way. :-P

> Why you bother to monitor machines like this in the first place is quite
> another question. They obviously are not critical.

I am aware of that. I just want to be informed if something breaks on those
machines (in case they are up) to be able to react as soon as possible. As I
told: this is a small private and uncritical net. Yeah, monitoring those
machines sounds a bit like overkill, but I like it that way. You may call me
paranoid. :-D

> Hugo.

Thanks again.

--
MfG Jan

OpenPGP Fingerprint:
0E9B 4052 C661 5018 93C3 4E46 651A 7A28 4028 FF7A