Service checks on hosts which are not up 24x7

Patrick Morris patrick.morris at hp.com
Sat Jan 26 02:30:25 CET 2008

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008, Jan Kohnert wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm monitoring my small private net using nagios and it works well. But I have
> a (hopefully simply to answer) question:
>
> Some of the hosts are workstations which may go down at some time due to
> energy saving reasons. I want the services, which I monitor on those hosts to
> change their status to 'unknown' instead of 'critical' if those hosts are
> down.
>
> Something like:
> if $host up:
>         check services and report errors
> else:
>         don't check and give 'unknown' status
>
> I'm sure this must be possible using service-dependencies but I'm not sure how
> to do this. Could somebody please give me a hint where to look in the
> documentation or how this could be managable?
>
> If you need detailed configuration items, please let me know.

Whether a service is critical, unknown or otherwise depends on how the
plugin is implemented, and there's no global setting you can use to make
them behave the way you're looking for.  Service dependencies also won't
help, since all they do is determine whether or not to check or notify
on a service based on the state of another service, but have no effect
on the return value of the plugins.

To get what you're looking for, you'll probably need to come up with
some sort of wrapper script for your plugins that modifies the return
value based on the status of the host they are associated with.