Service Dependency Not Working

Marty nagios-users at martycombs.com
Fri Jan 25 22:55:34 CET 2008

I have been using nagios for several years with wonderful success.  (Thank
you to all who have contributed.)

I have a problem with the service dependency not working as I expect.  We
are using Nagios v2.9 running on linux (CentOS).

I am using NRPE to check several services such as load, users, procs, etc.
I plan to make all NRPE dependent services begin with a double underscore
(__) and use a regular expression in the service dependency to have
the functioning of the NRPE daemon be the master service upon which
all other NRPR services depend.  (Such as below.)

define servicedependency{
         dependent_host_name             HOSTNAME
         dependent_service_description   __*
         host_name                       HOSTNAME
         service_description             NRPE Daemon
         execution_failure_criteria      n
         notification_failure_criteria   w,c,u,p
}

To confirm running of NRPE, I am using check_dummy

   command[check_dummy]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_dummy 0

I have been running tests with no success.  I received notifications of
the dependendent services even if I shutdown NRPE on the target host.

I have tried multiple iterations of the configuration.  I even simplified
the test by reconfiguring the service dependency stanza to be:

define servicedependency{
         dependent_host_name             test2
         dependent_service_description   __Total Processes
         host_name                       test2
         service_description             NRPE Daemon
         execution_failure_criteria      n
         notification_failure_criteria   w,c,u,p
}

I run the simplified test by setting the critical value for the number of
processes very low and configure check_dummy to return CRITICAL.  Nagios
sends out two notifications when I schedule a check of services on host
"test2".

I have used service dependencies in the past on older versions of Nagios
(v1.x).  Is there something I am overlooking?

Many thanks for any help I can get.

marty :-)

To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that
we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only
unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American
public.

   -Theodore Roosevelt, 26th US President (1858-1919)