What GUI has the fastest reponse times for Nagios tactical overview?

Steffen Poulsen step at tdc.dk
Fri Jan 25 15:34:17 CET 2008

Hi,

With a just-now working NDO installation we are now curious if we have
options to to brighten the user experience in browsing the Nagios cgis.

We are currently planning to do a three-level maps-in-maps
implementation in NagVis, to mirror the grouping of hostgroups in
Nagios. So, first level map would be a map of host groups, next level
map is the map of hosts in the host groups, last level map is the map of
services at the host. Similar for service groups.

But, we were wondering - is there any software package already doing
this kind of pre-rendered / cached views kind of processing? Preferably,
we would like to have response times down from 10-30 seconds to 1-2
seconds per view. We are aware that the NagVis implementation doesn't
solve the problem that as soon as you want to touch the configuration
(perhaps set scheduled maintenance, disable notifications or the like),
you are back in the slow response times, but we hope it can help in
providing the "tactical overview" faster.

Nagios is replacing and extending a Big Brother installation here which
was using pre-rendered HTML for its pages, so that is pretty hard to
beat - but how close can we get / what do you guys do?

We are monitoring 8000+ services / 1000+ hosts in a distributed setup,
our installation is running Solaris.

Best regards,
Steffen Poulsen

--