Internet Connectivity Monitoring

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Jan 25 15:17:14 CET 2008

On Jan 25, 2008, at 2:54 AM, Giles Coochey wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> As part of our Internet Connectivity monitoring I monitor a set of
> websites on the Internet from a diverse number of locations
> geographically.
>
> There are some issues with this:
>
> (a) I have to avoid sites that use Content Delivery Systems such as
> Akamai, because as we host such boxes ourselves the websites actually
> load from local servers which we host rather than the intended
> geographic location. Most large sites such as www.yahoo.com and
> www.google.com use these content delivery systems.
> (b) I have to avoid small sites which often go down due to lack of
> redundancy in their implementation.
> (c) I have to avoid sites which might get pretty annoyed that I'm
> pulling their homepage once every 10-15 minutes just to see if I'm
> getting good access.

This is just generally bad behavior. Statement (c) tells me you
already know this.

> I would like to hear from others on the list as to what they do to
> check
> Internet Connectivity and whether they do any smart stuff to include
> multiple connectivity checks as a single service check.
>
> What do you do?

- verify interface status via SNMP
- ping all our local internet connected interfaces (redundant to the
above)
- verify all our BGP sessions are up and with the proper peers.
- where permitted/possible, ping the remote connected interface
- Pay for a colocated/hosted box outside of our network that we can
monitor to/from. This is useful not only for monitoring but general
troubleshooting of our and other networks from the outside.

- we don't use it but check_cluster(2) could be used to verify that
all of several internet connections are up and notify appropriately.

--
Marc