Memory and fork problem with Nagios 2.9

Ghelfi Stefano stefano.ghelfi at atosorigin.com
Fri Jan 25 14:29:41 CET 2008

Hi list,
I'm quit new to Nagios, and I would know if someone can help me.

This is my enviroment:
 - VMWare Virtual machine running over Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
with 2 GB RAM
 - Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga) installed on the VM
 - NAGIOS 2.9 with embedded perl
 - NET-SNMP

I'm testing this enviroment to monitor some network devices using snmp
plugins (I wasn't able to run the
plugins without embedded perl). At the moment I'm monitoring 17 hosts
(Routers, switches and 1 firewall)
and 70 services (especially ports on routers with "check_ifstatus" plugin).

My problem is that all the time that I start Nagios, very slowly, memory
used by Nagios goes up (And I see that
memory used by nagios childs to execute plugins is the same as the parent
process) until I begin to find in
nagios.log the message: "Warning: The check of service 'xxx' on host 'yyy'
could not be performed due to a
fork() error.  The check will be rescheduled.". If I restart Nagios the
situations is always the same (It
takes a couple of days to arrive to the critical state)

First I though about a problem with Nagios configuration but after some
tuning I'm quite sure that the
configuration is ok (No problem with user configuration or
"service_reaper_frequency").

I read a post that was talking about known memory leak problems with
embedded perl, could anyone explain to
me a little bit better the problem?

Is there any workaround or patch?

Thankyou very much for the help