Perf Data Issue

Joerg Linge pitchfork at ederdrom.de
Thu Jan 24 19:01:08 CET 2008

Paul Wilson schrieb:
> Hi All,

Hi Paul,

> Firstly, thanks for everyone involved with Nagios, its a fantastic
> piece of softwarel!
>
> My problem is that I cannot enable performance data from my monitors.
> I'm running the latest version of nagios2 which I downloaded a week
> ago, and compiled it with the default perfdata setting.
>
> I have also installed pnp successfully, however it tells me that there
> are no valid rrdfiles in the given host's directory.
>
> I've set up the follow configuration options in my nagios.cfg:
>
> process_performance_data=1

OK

> host_perfdata_command=process-host-perfdata
> service_perfdata_command=process-service-perfdata

OK

> And in my commands.cfg
>
> define command {
>        command_name    process-host-perfdata
> #       command_line    /usr/bin/perl
> /usr/local/nagios/libexec/process_perfdata.pl -d HOSTPERFDATA
>         command_line    /bin/echo -e
> "$LASTCHECK$\t$HOSTNAME$\t$HOSTSTATE$\t$HOSTATTEMPT$\t$STATETYPE$\t$EXECUTIONTIME$\t$OUTPUT$\t$PERFDATA$"
>>> /usr/local/nagios/var/host-perfdata

Do you use regular host checks with Nagios 2.x ? Tis is not the best
Idea i think.

> Notice I've commented out the process_perfata.pl line in favour of a
> simple echo to a file, just for testing.
>
> I have also restarted the nagios process to take into account my changes.
>
> I have a host set up to monitor with the check_icmp command:
>
> -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 30524 2007-10-22 15:17 check_icmp
>
> A simple check determines that it's returning performance data:
> ./check_icmp -H 128.1.2.181
>       OK - 128.1.2.181: rta 0.451ms, lost
> 0%|rta=0.451ms;200.000;500.000;0; pl=0%;40;80;;

OK, check_icmp looks good.

> And the service command looks like:
>
> define service{
>         use                           generic-service
>         host_name                Virgin.Invader            ; All our
> boxes are named after trains
>         service_description     ICMP Echo Stats
>         check_command        check_icmp
> }

Is "process_perf_data 1" set in your service definition or templates ?

> Within Nagios I get the status printed without problems, but no
> /usr/local/nagios/var/host-perfdata exists.

Thats OK. PNP dont need this file if your using the PNP Default Mode.

> I've checked books and online articles for a solution but I guess I
> must be doing something fundimentally wrong.

First choose the right mode for your installation.
http://www.pnp4nagios.org/pnp/modes

Configure PNP based on http://www.pnp4nagios.org/pnp/config

and check the function as described on

http://www.pnp4nagios.org/pnp/verify