RE host checks configuration question

Cyrille Bollu Cyrille.Bollu at fedasil.be
Thu Jan 24 11:59:43 CET 2008

OK, I have find the explanation as what means a "check_interval" being set
to 0 in the documentation of Nagios 3 (we are using 2.9 here): 0 means
*regular* host checks are not performed. Which is good.

I have another question now: Are on-demand host checks scheduled when a
service transits in a *soft* not-OK state or when it transits in a *hard*
not-ok state?

This is a quite important question since knowing the answer to this
question will influence the value I'm gonna set for the host
"max_check_attempts" parameter: When "on-demand host checks" are scheduled
when a service transits in a *hard* not-OK state, I will set the host
"max_check_attempts" to a lower value than when "on-demand host checks"
are scheduled when a service transits in a *hard* not-OK state (since I'm
more confident in the service check result).

Also, there is something else not very clear in Nagios 3 documentation:

(from http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/hostchecks.html)
"Hosts which have their max_check_attempts value set to 1 can cause
serious performance problems. The reason? If Nagios needs to determine
their true state using the network reachability logic (to see if they're
DOWN or UNREACHABLE), it will have to launch serial checks of all of the
host's immediate parents. Just to reiterate, those checks are run serially
, rather than in parallel, so it can cause a big performance hit. For this
reason, I would recommend that you always use a value greater than 1 for
the max_check_attempts directives in your host definitions."

Well, I believe the writer of this documentation but I don't understand
why setting this parameter to 1 will serialize the host's parents checks.
Can someone explain me this point?

Best regards,

Cyrille