Problem with high latencies after going distributed

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Thu Jan 24 09:33:01 CET 2008

Some heavily broken intending there (looks like my mail client gets
confused)... don't trust the number of ">"!

On 23/01/08 10:47 PM, Frost, Mark {PBG} wrote:

> [...]

Well... I was thinking about partly re-writing nsca as an event-based
daemon (supporting only the --single mode, but that would be really
scalable) using libevent, allowing to pass along the timestamp  (this is
a recent feature request) and supporting multi-line responses (for
Nagios 3) in the process, and finally suggesting this as a base for a
NSCA v3... I'm not even sure if I would have enough time but since my
main objective it to learn I wouldn't loose anything trying :).

In the unlikely event that I write it, In the same step I could surely
to a C version of OCP_Daemon supporting natively the "NSCA v3" protocol
(it wouldn't be hard)...

I'll have to think about it... I quess the only sane separator to write
multiple multi-line results on a pipe would be \000 (NULL), so there
would be 3 mode of operation for send_nsca (and two for nsca_sendd
(don't you think it sounds better reversed?)):
send_nsca: compatible (v2 behavior), Single check (additional lines are
taken as additional output) and multi-check (NULL separated)
nsca_sendd: single-line (one check/line, OCP_Daemon style) and
multi-line "NULL-separated).

> I don't know how many people use OCP_Daemon but I had reports
>>>from a few
> people that greatly reduced their latency using it and I
> haven't had any
> bug reported yet. I believe it's well documented as well, but If you
> have any feedback on this I'll be happy to get it.
>
>> I'm playing with it a bit and have so far had good results.  I'll have
>> some
>> feedback after I've played with it a bit longer.  Thanks for writing it
>> and
>> writing up the docs for it as well!

Pass the thanks over to Ethan who sent me a Nagios NSA t-shirt for it ;)

Thomas