check_http returning success full results on a url which is down

Darren McMillan duffy290 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 23 17:50:55 CET 2008

Hi All,

I’m currently running Nagios 3.0 on a Fedora 7 box, with the latest plug-in package.

I’m trying to configure the check_http plug-in to check a test harness running on a Windows box which can be accessed via a web interface.  The problem is that I have brought the test harness down, so that when you manually connect to it via a browser (http://hostname:2000/test/results) it will return a page cannot be displayed error as expected.  However the check_http is still responding with a success “HTTP OK HTTP/1.1 200 OK - 5029 bytes in 0.004 seconds”.

I have set check_http as follows in my commands.cfg file

define command{
    command_name    check_http
    command_line    $USER1$/check_http -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p $ARG1$ -u     $ARG2$
    }

I have set this as a service in the windows.cfg as follows

define service{
    use                                     generic-service
    host_name                          PONGO
    service_description             HTTP
    check_command                   check_http!pongo!2000!/test/results
    notifications_enabled              0
    }

I done the usall pre-flight check & reboot after changes.

Can anyone spot why this is not failing even though I’ve closed the URL it’s trying to access?

Thanks,

Darren.