Determining the success or failure of externalcommands

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jan 23 16:19:09 CET 2008

avoid.

Nagios was never designed to provide status back to a script submitting
a command to the external command pipe because it is not a real-time
operation and the commands should always succeed (why wouldn't they?).
The command may not be read for quite some time after it's submitted,
depending on what nagios is doing at the time.

As for logging, Nagios assumes that all external commands succeed and
logs nothing unless the command is malformed. There is additional
logging that is available by running nagios in DEBUG3 but that still
doesn't indicate success or failure. commands.c handles external
commands. I'd suggest you start there and add in what additional logging
you feel you need.

--
Marc