Determining the success or failure of external commands

Scott Sanders lists at jssjr.com
Mon Jan 21 17:33:47 CET 2008

Hi,

I am working on implementing some functionality that will allow me to safely
expose nagios.cmd to external hosts. In my environment there are maintenance
tasks that run periodically which disrupt certain services, causing nagios
to start generating alerts. Needless to say, I am tired of having my cell
phone go crazy when this happens. (Especially in the middle of the night.)
Initially I created a simple page in php that schedules downtimes depending
on the request values given to it. This worked for a while, but I quickly
ran into the problem of some commands being placed into the nagios.cmd pipe
taking 30-45 seconds to be processed and others being incorrectly formatted.
What I want to implement now is a way for my extremely simplistic "API" to
report back on the success or failure of commands passed to it. I know that
nagios can write EXTERNAL COMMAND: entries to syslog, but I'm not sure how
to determine the results of these commands.

Any suggestions or input on my approach would be greatly appreciated.

-Scott Sanders