Howto monitor intermittent clients

Lars Stavholm stava at telcotec.se
Sat Jan 19 11:26:03 CET 2008

Hi All,

I know this is a bit of an odd one, but still:

I'm looking for ways of monitoring intermittent
clients, i.e. client computers that are not always
there, like laptops that come and go or similar,
clients that gets switched off after work hours.

Ideally, without installing anything on the clients,
so that sort of rules out passive checking. Instead,
I would like to use active checking (e.g. using SNMP),
but configured in a way so that when a host is unreachable
or down, that's OK, and the services needn't be checked.
Whereas if the client host is on line, all defined
services should be checked and issue alarms and so on
if check results in CRITICAL or WARNING, as per usual.

Any ideas appreciated
/Lars