check_smtp issues

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Jan 18 14:38:05 CET 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 11:38 PM, Julie S. Lin wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Sorry for the incomplete info, I do know better, really.  Pls forgive.
>
> Anyways, below is the result I get when I manually run check_smtp
> from my plugins directory.  This is on a redhat es4 machine running
> 1.2
> nagios
> (yes, very outdated I know).
>
> [root at xxx plugins]# ./check_smtp mail.xxx.com
> Socket timeout after 10 seconds

Try running with verbose output. You should also perform the test as
the nagios user. --

check_smtp -H mail.xxx.com -v

What version of the plugins are you using? There were a number of
issues with check_smtp in old releases that have since been fixed.
There was a problem similar to this with Exchange; it wouldn't QUIT
properly or something like that. If you're using an older version and
the verbose output above doesn't show anything interesting, try
upgrading to the latest plugins or at least the latest check_smtp.

--
Marc