Monitoring OSX 10.4 Server

Tim Wilson twilson at buffalo.k12.mn.us
Fri Jan 18 07:00:14 CET 2008

<9FA3207C038D744189A6C188A175F6B20258CAD3 at bomb.secretlevel.com>, "Lucas Fritz"
<lfritz at secretlevel.com> wrote:

> Are there any definitive guides for monitoring a remote OSX 10.4 Server?

Hey Lucas,

The macports install of NRPE is straightforward on OS X Server. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of things exposed via SNMP with OS X. I created a couple check scripts that you might find useful.

1. check_xserve uses Marcel Bresink's Hardware Monitor tool to monitor the on-board hardware sensors:

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Hardware.56.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[p_view]=1193

2. check_osx_services interfaces with the serveradmin command to check the status of the various built-in OS X services. I haven't added any Leopard-specific checks yet, but it will check a lot of stuff on Tiger. I need to add the performance data to the script output, but everything else works well at this point.

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Operating_Systems.157.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[p_view]=1206

Please let me know if you try these and find problems. I don't have a lot of Xserves to test with.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson, Director of Technology
Buffalo-Hanover-Montrose Schools