check_smtp issues

Julie S. Lin jlin at myvest.com
Fri Jan 18 06:38:08 CET 2008

Hi All

Sorry for the incomplete info, I do know better, really.  Pls forgive.

Anyways, below is the result I get when I manually run check_smtp
from my plugins directory.  This is on a redhat es4 machine running 1.2
nagios
(yes, very outdated I know).

[root at xxx plugins]# ./check_smtp mail.xxx.com
Socket timeout after 10 seconds
[root at xxx plugins]# ./check_smtp mail.yyy.com
SMTP OK - 0 second response time

* so check_smtp fails on one mail server but not the other
mail.xxx.com is behind the same firewall as the nagios server
but on a different network....
mail.yyy.com is on another network outside of the firewall
is there anything I should know about having nagios check_smtp server within
a firewall??

And of course, mail is working just fine.
> mail -v jlin at mail.xxx.com
Subject: foo
.
EOT
Null message body; hope that's ok
jlin at mail.xxx.com... Connecting to mail.xxx.com. via esmtp...
220 xxx.com ESMTP
>>> EHLO anywhere.com
250-xxx.com Ok.
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5 X-NETSCAPE-HAS-BUGS
250-STARTTLS
250-XVERP=Courier
250-XEXDATA
250-XSECURITY=NONE,STARTTLS
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250 DSN
>>> STARTTLS
220 Ok
>>> EHLO anywhere.com
250-xxx.com Ok.
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5 X-NETSCAPE-HAS-BUGS
250-XVERP=Courier
250-XEXDATA
250-XSECURITY=NONE,STARTTLS
250-PIPELINING