Scripted downtime question

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 17 10:13:26 CET 2008

Ian Collier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've been happily using nagios for a year and a half or so to monitor
> a number of high performance linux clusters (total 200 nodes or so),
> plus infrastructure hosts. All works nicely and it is highlighting
> issues well before they become critical.
>
> One thing I have not found good solutions for is down time for cluster
> nodes.
>
> Sometimes they are down briefly for maintenance, os reinstalls etc,
> and turning off checks in the GUI sort of works, most of the time. But
> we also turn machines off automatically, from other management
> software when they are not needed for a while.
>
> Does anyone have a way to script turning off checks and notifications
> for individual hosts or hostgroups? The only way I have identified is
> the GUI. If it is there built in I have failed to identify it in the
> docs.
This comes up quite a lot on this mailing list. I think so far the best
solutions are:

1.use timeperiods to repeatedly exclude the maintenance window on those
service or host checks

or

2. send a passive external command to the command pipe of nagios (the
thing NSCA and the gui use to send those instructions to Nagios - see
External Commands in the nagios docs and you will need
check_external_commands=1 in your nagios.cfg). This option gives more
flexibility in fact that the timeperiods can even allow for if your
scheduling is more irregular and not for example the same time every day
or every week.

If you search the mailing lists you should find whole discussions on
this too.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon