nagios and parenting...

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jan 15 19:12:37 CET 2008

Nagios assumes it lives as the next hop after the last defined parent in
a chain.

Nagios <- parent <- parent <- parent <- host

If there's something else in-between that you haven't defined as a
parent, nagios has no way to figure out that relationship so everything
between nagios and the last defined parent will be DOWN (including the
last parent) and all others would be UNREACHABLE.

Nagios <- (down host) <- down parent <- unreachable parent <- u parent
<- u host

HTH

--
Marc