Solaris 10 SMF, Getting NRPE to run as user nagios

Cipriani, Robert C Robert.Cipriani at mybrighthouse.com
Tue Jan 15 16:42:40 CET 2008

I have NRPE running on Solaris 10 SPARC under SMF, but the only way I could get it to run as user nagios is if I set SUID on the nrpe executable.

This is the output inetadm -l svc:/network/nrpe/tcp:default

SCOPE    NAME=VALUE
         name="nrpe"
         endpoint_type="stream"
         proto="tcp"
         isrpc=FALSE
         wait=FALSE
         exec="/usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -i"
         arg0="/usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe"
         user="nagios"
default  bind_addr=""
default  bind_fail_max=-1
default  bind_fail_interval=-1
default  max_con_rate=-1
default  max_copies=-1
default  con_rate_offline=-1
default  failrate_cnt=40
default  failrate_interval=60
default  inherit_env=TRUE
default  tcp_trace=FALSE
default  tcp_wrappers=FALSE

user="nagios" , but if I don't do the SUID I get in the system log:
nrpe[10222]: [ID 306117 auth.error] Error: NRPE daemon cannot be run as user/group root!

I've searched the web and the archives to no avail. Does anyone have experience running NRPE under SMF? Any concerns about running it SUID? Thanks so much.

Robert C. Cipriani
Senior Network Administrator
Tampa Bay Division IT
Bright House Networks