Monitoring Windows workstation

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 04:21:14 CET 2008

Hi Xavier,

I am a bit confused to your goals, but I believe you should be able to
accomplish your goals with NC_NEt,

The Service or the Process checks accept comma seperated lists  and return
Critical if one in the group is not running.

YOur initial post said you wanted to setup a single PAssive check on NAgios.
but your last email specified not using NSCA for some undisclosed reason.

NSCA is a two part service to submit the checks to nagios as an active
check, NSCA is a Standard for recieving Passive checks on Nagios for more
information read the Manual and install NSCA onto your Nagios Host for
recieving Passive checks.

Send_NSCA is used for submitting checks to the NAgios Host that is running
NSCA.
NC_Net has its own  Send_NSCA built into it that works with Nagions.  NC_NEt
can also send Passive Host checks

Besides NC_NEt NAgiosExchange has a Win32_sendNSCA if I remember it is
listed under the Communication section of the plugins burried on one of the
latter pages. this would allow you to submit anything you can get to
standard out on a Windows Host to a NSCA.

NSCA is well  documented, and so are the Nagios Docs on NSCA and how to get
it,
NC_NEt is configured though the Startup.cfg saved in the install folder,
and settings are mostly documented inside the config files.
For setting up the acctual passive checks in NC_NEt it is easiest to use the
check_nc_net.c plugin, this is documented thorugh the Help option and can be
compiled as one would compile check_nt (which is part of the Official Nagios
PLugins)

NC_Net is availible form SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nc-net

Tony (Author of NC_NEt)