NRPE agent on linux issue after reboot ...

Justin Hennessy jhennessy at compit.com.au
Thu Jan 10 07:16:54 CET 2008

Hi All,

I am having an issue with the NRPE agent on linux servers (happens on
all flavours I have tried).

I am using TCP Wrappers to implement it. When the server is rebooted the
port for NRPE (5666) isn't available until I manually restart it.

Here is the config I am using for the nrpe xinetd file:

# default: on
service nrpe
{
        flags           = REUSE
        socket_type     = stream
        port            = 5666
        wait            = no
        user            = nagios
        group           = nagios
        server          = /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe
        server_args     = -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg --inetd
        log_on_failure  += USERID
        disable         = no
        only_from       = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
}