best solution for configuration changes

Matthias Flacke Matthias.Flacke at gmx.de
Thu Jan 3 21:39:36 CET 2008

I'd like to suggest a completely different approach - again with the plugin
check_multi (http://my-plugin.de/check_multi) which I yesterday introduced in
another context. ;-)

Take the following scenario: you have a parent check_multi service for each
region (user/admin/organisational) you want to serve and it is configured
within nagios by you - this is the fix frame.

Now the flexible part - the plugin configuration. Multiple child plugins are
configured in a plain ASCII file like the following:

# group1.cmd
command [ proc1 ] = check_procs -C abc ...
command [ disk1 ] = check_disk -w ...
command [ load  ] = check_load ...

This command file is easy to understand, to change and to test (on the command
line). There has nothing to be changed in Nagios, no need to run any further
'nagios -v' check. So you can delegate this job to your users.

If the users do anything wrong with it, they only earn an error message (which
is shown in Nagios parent plugin output) and at worst a CRITICAL state for
their parent service. But Nagios remains sane and integer.
These check_multi configs can be maintained by SVN, and security is based on
standard Unix access control.

The only disadvantage: all child checks only have one parent. This means only
one notification, escalation logics a.s.o. If you want to split this, take a
second service.
And another point: it's more or less Nagios3 stuff because it extensively uses
multiline output.

Greetz,
Matthias

--