best solution for configuration changes

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 3 18:58:36 CET 2008

Brian Loe wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2008 11:41 AM, Valdinger, Stephen (DOV, MSX)
> <svalding at doverchem.com <mailto:svalding at doverchem.com>> wrote:
>
>     Fruity is a great tool. It is driven by a MySQL back-end. Users
>     make changes in the web interface, which get saved to the
>     database. Once all is reviewed, you can verify everything in the
>     web before writing the actual configuration files. Being a web
>     app, something as simple as a .htaccess file will work for your
>     authentication, or you can incorporate it however you like. This
>     is not for the 3.x branch, and is currently being revamped into a
>     project called Lilac. It should be very interesting once it is
>     done. The project intends to create a web-configuration front end
>     to manage many of the major open-source network monitoring tools
>     such as Nagios and Cacti, etc�
>
>     Stephen Valdinger
>

> I'm watching this project, and have been for awhile, because I use
> both Nagios and Cacti - but it has not yet hit the point of
> development that I'm able to use it...the simple htaccess file is a
> part of the problem actually - what's the mechanism for allowing users
> to change their own passwords, via the web?! :)
It needs proper forms based authenticated, not .htaccess for that.

I still think that revision control configuration is quite important though.

So there you have 2 feature requests Stephen:

1. Forms based authentication
2. Revision Control. Perhaps some integration with Subversion underneath it?

-h

--
Hari Sekhon