best solution for configuration changes

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Thu Jan 3 18:44:44 CET 2008

Hi,

On Jan 3, 2008 12:26 PM, Brian Loe <knobdy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was thinking of some convoluted solution for users to configure "their"
> configuration files and them diffed or uniqed to the original with that
> being saved and then the newly updated config file to be copied over the old
> one and nagios reloaded, etc., etc.. BUT, I figure there has to be a better
> way. What I have for host config files are:

Subversion is a good idea, only caveat is that your users have to
learn to write Nagios configuration snippets.  I have used NagioSQL in
the past, it is decent :), the problem is that the GUIs I have used
for Nagios configuration generation do not make use of inheritence or
the other nice OO features of the Nagios configuration framework, it
can also be quite time consuming to massage your hand-designed Nagios
configuration into a format that can be imported into or ingested by
the Nagios GUIs (some come with import tools).

If you use Subversion, I recommend going with the web_dav module as
you can then limit who can access what part of your Nagios
configuration repository based on group membership; e.g.

nagios/
        etc/
            security-group/
            windows-group/

On the Nagios server side you could have a cron job that updated the
configs every N minutes or even a sub-version commit trigger that
would run a "nagios -v /path/nagios.cfg" check on your configuration
and either 1) restart Nagios if the configuration is good or 2) alert
you if someone has broken the configs.

You could even integrate Trac and get a nice project management
interface with ticketing capabilities to let people make requests for
configuration changes, one that lets you and any other monitoring team
members you have document your monitoring set up with the built in
Wiki and the graphviz plugin for diagrams, etc.

http://trac.edgewall.org/

- Max