best solution for configuration changes

Brian Loe knobdy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 18:26:18 CET 2008

I was thinking of some convoluted solution for users to configure "their"
configuration files and them diffed or uniqed to the original with that
being saved and then the newly updated config file to be copied over the old
one and nagios reloaded, etc., etc.. BUT, I figure there has to be a better
way. What I have for host config files are:

windows.cfg
net.cfg
resources.cfg
unix.cfg
security.cfg

Each of those host config files has a group of people associated with them -
and I'll need to break out the services.cfg file the same way.

I haven't added a user to the system either - and I'm not even sure what the
best way of doing that!

The end result of what ever I do allows, for instance, people in the
security group to modify /etc/nagios/security_hosts.cfg and
/etc/nagios/security_svcs.cfg, and the changes would be saved somewhere
(repository or log file or whatever), and then nagios service would be
reloaded.

Suggestions? Solutions? It'd be great if this could be done via a/the web
interface but I haven't found one that works that well yet - and I still am
not sure how to provide users with a login/pw that they can change upon the
next log on (obviously I'm not an expert linux admin)!