Running Nagios on Linux

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jan 2 21:12:20 CET 2008

It should be pretty straightforward assuming you're using comparable
versions of nagios on both machines.

- compile and install nagios on solaris (package may be available).
- compile and install nagios-plugins on solaris (package may be
available)
- stop nagios on your current box
- copy over ~nagios/etc/* and ~nagios/var/*
- restart nagios on your current box
- edit paths in nagios.cfg, cgi.cfg and resource.cfg as appropriate on
solaris
- verify config on solaris (~nagios/bin/nagios -v
~nagios/etc/nagios.cfg)
- start nagios on solaris.
- verify results are the same as your current box
- stop nagios on your current box
- Profit!

If you're using check_nrpe, check_by_ssh or any other plugins that might
have restricted access to remote hosts, verify that your new solaris box
is permitted.

If you're using NSCA, make sure that send_nsca on your remote machines
is sending to your new box.

--
Marc