NRPE Logging. Documentation?

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 2 17:49:04 CET 2008

Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 16:14 +0000, Hari Sekhon wrote:
>
>> I want to log every nrpe call that is made including the command it ran,
>> source, username the command is running as etc so I have a more full
>> audit trail.
>>
>> I have googled and read http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nrpe/NRPE.pdf
>> but this seems very basic, for beginners really.
>> There is only a brief mention of nrpe.cfg and how to added a remote check.
>> What I
>>

> Set values:
>
> debug=1 in nrpe.conf
>

> As for logging, it logs to static facility hard-coded into the code
> (which you cannot change during runtime -- this is a NFS/Bug issue).
> Google: nagios+seklecki+nrpe+nsca+syslog
>
> You can work around it by routing message to a custom destination in
> syslog-ng(8) using a program{} filter.

Yes syslog-ng is excellent I know. I have tried the workaround of using
debug but this produces a massive amount of logging, it lists every
single command defined in nrpe every single time an nrpe call is made.
This means I could be getting 100 lines of logging for every command I
call every time. This is completely over the top and might just harm my
logging infrastructure.

While syslog-ng could be used to filter all this out, I am hesitant to
do this as it really feels like a hack...

I think I might live without this until someone comes up with a way to
do it properly within nrpe, or until I get some time to try to do this
and submit a patch (which will definitely not be any time soon).

Unless anyone else has any better ideas?

-h

--
Hari Sekhon