Propagating Service Changes

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Wed Jan 2 12:43:00 CET 2008

Hi All!

First off my apologies. Apparently I forget to stop the subscription
while I was on vacation, so I would imagine that most everyone got a
vacation notice from me. Sorry!

We have a situation (using Nagios 2.5) we need to monitor/report
services "conceptually". That is, we have several services that are
monitored and only when all of these are not accessible do we report
that the main service is not accessible. I couldn't find any information
on propagating services, so I was thinking about using an event handler
that would run whenever one of the low-level services changes state. The
handler would then check the other services (perhaps using the
Nagios-Object perl module) and if all of the other services are
critical, the handler would use send_nsca to send a message to the
master service. However, if there is some mechanism already built in
(even Nagios 3.0) that would save me the work of re-inventing the wheel.

I would be grateful for any input or ideas.

Regards,

Jim Mohr