Heads up: Comments might bite you; was Re: Possible bug in 3.0rc3

Tobias Klausmann klausman at schwarzvogel.de
Fri Feb 29 12:15:42 CET 2008

Hi!

Actually, this was both my and Nagios' fault. You see, faced with
a config block like this:

# foo=bar\
foo=baz

Nagios will see... nothing. The trailing \ in the first line
joins up the second and then both disappear since it's now one
long comment.

Logic-wise I'd say it's 50/50 bug/feature. I personally think
that a # should have precedence over \-at-eol. Usability-wise
it's definitely a bug and I've said as much on -devel.

Still, a nasty trap to fall into. Beware when you next edit your
configs.

Regards,
Tobias

PS: It seems this behaviour was introduced somewhere between b7
and rc3, probably when adding line continuation support.

--
"Have you any idea how successful censorship is on TV?
 Don't know the answer?  Hm.  Successful, isn't it?" -Max Headroom