Plugin Output Standardization (was JMX plugin thread)

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 27 14:44:26 CET 2008

Marc Powell wrote:
>> Yes quite right, but standardization of output is nice for coherence
>> and
>> to give a more professional unified feel.
>>

> Yup, that's why guidelines exist.
>

>> Do you have any preference between the two? There seems to
>> unfortunately
>> be a mix between the two styles.
>>

>> I'd vote for the "SERVICENAME SERVICESTATUS: Informational text"
>> format
>> like "DISK OK: / is 50% full" ...
>>

> I use this format in plugins I write

I'm glad to hear that, I too write my plugins this way. I prefer this
format as it's very clear and most of the plugins that I use from the
std distribution seem to do this.

I was thinking that a switch on each plugin to change the prefix on the
output depending on your preferences might be the best thing to satisfy
all, that way you can adjust all plugins to match one way or the other.
You could use this to specify "" to change it to have no prefix if needed.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon