JMX plugin

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 26 19:08:32 CET 2008

Oliver Welter wrote:
>> which outputs:
>>
>> JMX OK - HeapMemoryUsage.used is
>> 78707376,committed=1063321600;init=1073741824;max=1063321600;used=78707376
>>
> IIRC, your output must start with the status keyword, so you have to
> remove the "JMX" in front of the ok
Really? I never got that from the Nagios development guidelines, perhaps

SERVICE STATUS: Information text

is slightly ambiguous as it could mean "SERVICENAME then STATUS then
Information text" or just "STATUS then Information text".

I've personally always preferred the former where you print the check
name, I think it makes things clearer and I've noticed that lots of the
plugins from the standard distribution follow this.

To the OP and back on topic, I don't know anything about your plugin but
have you tested that this Java program is using the right Exit codes?
You should also make sure that all output goes to stdout and not stderr
since nagios does not catches stderr.

Oliver is right, you should check the user that you are running it as,
one common mistake is to run a program as root from the command line and
then wonder why it doesn't work as the nagios user.

Usually when you get Unknown and no output at the same time with nrpe,
it's usually a user issue or a failure to execute issue due to wrong
path or requiring more privs or something hanging like a sudo call where
you hadn't granted nopasswd so it prompted, hung and timed out.

You should also check out
http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/developer-guidelines.html for the
development guidelines.

-h