passive or active checks over ssh satellite (cause of dmz)

Denny Schierz linuxmail at 4lin.net
Fri Feb 22 14:28:45 CET 2008

hi,

we have a DMZ with a lot of servers and services. The only way, to
reach them from  the nagios view, is over SSH. Actually we use the
ssh_check plugin that calls a script on the satellite server. These
scripts checks the services and hosts, write the results down into a
file and pipe them via nagios-cmd or ncsa into nagios.

These scripts are grown over the time and not very easy to read. So,i
want to make it easier. My idea is:

Nagios: 192.168.197.100
SSH-SAT: 192.168.197.101/192.168.198.100
DMZPC01: 192.168.198.101

NAGIOS> --check_by_ssh!check_dmzpc01_diskfree-- -> SSH-SAT ->
nrpe_client!check_diskfree -h dmzpc01_diskfree -> DMZPC01 -> NRPE
Daemon -> command[check_disk]=/usr....

In a view sentences: Nagios have to use the ssh_check plugin with the
argument to check from server "dmzpc01" the disks.

On DMZPC01 runs a nrpe daemon and i can connect via the nrpe_check
plugin to get information from SSH-SAT.

Nagios can connect via SSH and execte the nrpe_check plugins, like the
following:

nagios at nagios:~> ../libexec/check_by_ssh -H ssh-sat -C
"/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H dmzpc01 -c check_hda5"

DISK OK - free space: / 432 MB (22% inode=73%);| /=1480MB;1612;1813;0;2015

So, now i have to define a command and here is,where i have some problems.

Is here anybody, who can me give some hints?

i tried a similar like these test, which also does not work:

define command{
command_name ssh_check_dmz_icmp
command_line $USER1$/check_by_ssh -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C
"$USER1$/check_icmp -H $ARG1$
}

My hope was, that $ARG1$ could be the IP from the hostconfig. But i'm
sure, that is wrong .... I got back only "0" in nagios webfrontend...

cu denny