Announce: Check_Gentoo_Portage plugin

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 22 10:40:00 CET 2008

Matthias Kellermann wrote:
>> You can get the plugin from NagiosExchange here:
>>
>> http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Check_Plugins.21.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[p_view]=1244
>

> Thanks Hari for this great plugin - just what I needed! :)
>
> Just tested it - works fine!
> I had to raise the DEFAULT_TIMEOUT to something like 30 on some older
> machines to get this to work. But on newer system 10 seconds are ok.
>
> Matthias
Yes it depends on what checks you run as well, getting the number of all
available upgrades is very slow,  hence why it's not the default - you'd
need 30-40 seconds, but this is completely emerge's fault which has
always been slow to start up.

I find that increasing the --timeout helps anyway even if you just stick
to the default Outstanding Security Packages check as it takes
glsa-check around 6.5-7 seconds just to return the output of security
packages, you may end up hitting the 10 second limit, and of course this
will be slower on old machines...

This is one good reason for the --timeout switch. I've just used that
switch to increase the running timeout to 30 seconds as well just to be
safe from timeouts. If you're referring to the DEFAULT_TIMEOUT in the
plugin, it's not really needed to change the code if you use the
--timeout switch when you run it (or embed that in the NRPE call or
whatever you use for remote checks), but it's completely your choice.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon