check_ssh to find "corrupt" keys that needregeneration?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Feb 21 15:50:35 CET 2008

SSH'ing
> in with a tool like PuTTY and Teraterm (have not tried this from a
Linux
> ssh box).

What is the specific error and symptoms that you're seeing? "resets some
sort of key" isn't very useful in helping you figure out how to check
for it. I've never seen anything like what you're describing outside of
the host key changing. check_ssh should detect that and at least WARN.

> 	check_ssh, I know, checks the ssh handshake but (to my
knowledge)
> does not help us make sure that we can add the user/passwd from PuTTY
(or
> equiv).

You need to be more specific about the problem you're having before any
determination can be made along these lines. I don't think there's
anything that can guarantee that those applications will work outside of
using those applications.

> For what it's worth, one associate of mine has suggested using a
script
> based on Net::Telnet (which, according to the man page, can be told to
use
> SSH for the underlying transport -- see man page), Net::SSH, or maybe
even
> just a plain expect script to prove that one can log in.

This may or may not be useful depending on the error that you're seeing.

--
Marc