status.cgi very high cpu usage => Problem gone away

Steve Kieu msh.computing at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 00:50:40 CET 2008

Hi,

The most scary thing is, as suddenly like when it came, it suddenly went
away this morning. Not any changes to the nagios system or vmware guest and
hosts.

I have been doing the similar benchmark of status.cgi on the real host with
the same status.dat file with the host having problem. It takes 0.1 sec to
process, and in the vmware host it took 3.9 second. I have a quick look of
how status.cgi parse the text file and see lots of  memory cmp (strcmp call
to libc) and move. So my wild guess is that memory operation on the vm is
terribly slow for some reason. And suddenly as come from nowhere, it just
become as fast as normal.

Any one has a bright idea of what is going on ?

Thanks

--
Steve Kieu
Mob: (+64) 021 250 6437