Problems with check_ssh

Steven Schwartz sschwartz at gracenote.com
Tue Feb 19 22:01:01 CET 2008

I'm trying to use check_ssh as a substitute for check_ping, for machines
on the other side of a no-ping firewall.

When I run the check by hand, I get:

../libexec/check_ssh -t 20 -H <machine-name>

SSH OK - Sun_SSH_1.1 (protocol 2.0)

(The -H was added after trying it without - it worked from the command
line without.  Also, the -t 20 was added because I was getting 10-second
timeout messages, and wanted to make sure that the code was responding
to the right item placed in the checkcommands.cfg file - so I changed
that to -t 20 as well.)

My checkcommands.cfg entry:

# 'check_ssh' command definition

define command{

        command_name    check_ssh

        command_line    $USER1$/check_ssh -4 -t 20 -H $HOSTADDRESS$

        }

My services entry:

define service{

        use                             generic-service         ; Name
of servic

        host_name                        <machine names here>

        service_description             SSHPING

        is_volatile                     0

        check_period                    24x7

        max_check_attempts              4

        normal_check_interval           5

        retry_check_interval            1

        contact_groups                  admins

        notification_options            w,u,c,r

        notification_interval           960

        notification_period             24x7

        check_command                   check_ssh

        }

It is right now running as a service, but it fails in exactly the same
way as a host-check command. I get:

CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 20 seconds

Even though from the command line, I can reach it no problem. Any
suggestions?

Steven Schwartz

Gracenote, Inc.