Nagios Looking Glass 1.1.0 beta 1 released

Lars Stavholm stava at telcotec.se
Tue Feb 19 08:01:10 CET 2008

Andy Shellam wrote:
> Hi Giles,
>
> Thanks for your comments.  The 'Network Health' page is designed to reflect
> the status of the network as a whole which, I agree, can be confusing when
> host-specific filters are specified.  An example scenario of the reasoning
> behind this is:
>
> You're viewing the 'network health' page and select the "down hosts only"
> filter.  All the hosts in this filter will be down, thus rendering the
> network "100% down", which obviously looks bad.

Of course it does, and as an example of the situation at hand,
pretty useless.

How about viewing this problem from the users point of view?
And I mean the non-techie user. Then it would be quite obvious
that Network Health should reflect the network health of the
users machines, otherwise you would have a bit of explaining
to do to a bunch of not so happy users, that would look at you
with those eyes saying "now there's a real techie, he hasn't
got a clue, let's get out of here".

When using the "down hosts only filter", one might consider not
letting this reflect on the overall Network Health at all,
actually. IMHO the Network Health should show the summary of
health for the users select machines only, at all times,
filter or not.

Other than that, NLG is a brilliant solution, badly needed
out there (here at least), and I've been looking forward to
try it out with nagios 3.x. Thanks for the effort Andy!

Just my 2c worth

Cheers
/Lars