conditional inclusion of cfg files

Jonathan Mills jonmills at email.unc.edu
Mon Feb 18 00:36:26 CET 2008

Okay, let's say you have lots of distributed pollers, which should
only load cfg files for their particular environment (both hosts and
services).  However, you'd like to manage the same set of "global" cfg
files from the central server, and rsync them all everywhere.  Is
there any known way to make a poller just load a subset of cfg files,
*without hardcoding it into each poller's nagios.cfg file*?

Sorry if this sounds a little crazy.  I guess what I had envisioned
was a way to push out a set of cfg files named by each poller's
hostname, with the expectation that a poller could intelligently
include only its own cfg file.  Each of those files, in turn, would
include a set of cfg_dir definitions to further include the
directories needed for the poller to poll its specific environment.

Nagios just appears to be very limited in the ability to declare
variables in the configuration files.  Yes, you can set macros, but
that doesn't seem to help me with this particular situation.

Any suggestions?