NSCA problem

Giulio Botto madecto at sangria.org.il
Fri Feb 15 15:16:40 CET 2008

Marc Powell wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2008, at 6:07 AM, Giulio Botto wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have a distributed Nagios network that monitors about a hundred
>> hosts
>> and the relative services on our customer's networks.
>> Most of them have Nagios servers which send check results using NSCA.
>>
>> On the master server Nagios 2.10 collects data through the NSCA
>> daemon.
>> As services and hosts increas in number so do checks and it appears
>> NSCA daemon is having some problems.
>>
>> We have seen up to several hundred daemons hang on the server and
>
> Please post the output of /path/to/nagios -s /path/to/nagios.cfg.
> You'll probably also want to adjust the value of
> command_check_interval in nagios.cfg if you haven't changed it from
> the default of 1 minute.

In the meantime I realized the central Nagios is still a 2.7 while
NSCA is 2.7.2. At the moment upgrading this specific Nagios is not
an option.

command_check_interval=-1

# nagios -s /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg

Nagios 2.7
Copyright (c) 1999-2007 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
Last Modified: 01-19-2007
License: GPL

Projected scheduling information for host and service
checks is listed below.  This information assumes that
you are going to start running Nagios with your current
config files.

HOST SCHEDULING INFORMATION
---------------------------
Total hosts:                     105
Total scheduled hosts:           0
Host inter-check delay method:   SMART
Average host check interval:     0.00 sec
Host inter-check delay:          0.00 sec
Max host check spread:           30 min
First scheduled check:           N/A
Last scheduled check:            N/A

SERVICE SCHEDULING INFORMATION
-------------------------------
Total services:                     398
Total scheduled services:           124
Service inter-check delay method:   SMART
Average service check interval:     224.03 sec
Inter-check delay:                  1.81 sec
Interleave factor method:           SMART
Average services per host:          3.79
Service interleave factor:          2
Max service check spread:           30 min
First scheduled check:              Fri Feb 15 15:00:18 2008
Last scheduled check:               Fri Feb 15 15:04:00 2008

CHECK PROCESSING INFORMATION
Service check reaper interval:      10 sec
Max concurrent service checks:      Unlimited

PERFORMANCE SUGGESTIONS
I have no suggestions - things look okay.

Giulio Botto -- madecto at sangria.org.il
PGP fingerprint =  1979 A78A 8F82 DB5E 55E9  D6D6 6AB6 0BA9 FDB7 6789