Monitor Gentoo portage

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 15 14:40:58 CET 2008

Matthias Kellermann wrote:
> Hari Sekhon schrieb:
>> Matthias Kellermann wrote:

>>> The plugin should check the output of "emerge -upD --newuse world"
>>> for updates. It's been a while since I've used Gentoo on a daily
>>> basis so I'm not sure if the output of the above command shows any
>>> difference between critical and non-critical updates.
>>>
>>> I wrote a similar plugin for FreeBSD where I use portaudit to see if
>>> there are any critical packages on the system. This way I can divide
>>> between critical packages and normal updates and give the right
>>> state back to Nagios (1 = non-critical, yellow / 2 = critical, red).
>> When you say critical and non-critical updates do you mean the
>> severity of the security package announcements? Ie. whether is a
>> remote exploitable service and might be considered Critical or
>> whether it takes some previous user account to elevate privilege and
>> therefore is not as severe and only "Important" or "Warning" in Nagios.
>>
>> I take it that you do not mean any old package that has updates or
>> the thing would be permanently triggered?
>>
>> I've just had a look at this and it doesn't look like it
>> distinguishes between security upgrades deemed Critical/Non-Critical.
>> So I guess it would be an all-or-nothing Critical/OK result.
>>
>> Any other ideas on this are welcome.
>>
>> I'll have a go at writing this since I think this is a neat idea and
>> I have a lot of gentoo to test it on here.
>>
>> -h
>
> critical update: fixes a security hole (nagios state: critical)
> non-critical update: just a new version with new features etc. (nagios
> state: warning)
>
> Thanks for your help and if you need any help for this plugin don't
> hesitate to ask me.
Ok thanks.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to know if there are new
version of a package available? There may be so many packages on a
server, that there is always some update. Do you intend to continuously
update the system for things which have no benefit?

eg. on a relatively light server with 174 packages, the odds of a newer
version of some small irrelevent program having gotten an update for
some feature you don't even know about is quite high I think.

Perhaps that kind of thing is better left for a switch option as I think
most people really wouldn't want to be bothered about that.

Do you, for example, update all packages on your gentoo servers all the
time? I would think that this would destabilize your server by
constantly changing things...?

What do you think?

Everybody else, please let us know your thoughts too.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon