Nagios 2.x configs compatible with 3.x?

Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Thu Feb 14 11:21:19 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm wondering:

is it possible to use 2.x configs for hosts, services and the like with
3.x without problems?

The scenario is the following:

I've monarch running now with some spooky config, so it doesn't overwrite
nagios.cfg and
cgi.cfg. Those are fully 3.x configured and contain the needed parameters.
Yet I'd like
to keep monarch for configuring the hosts, services, timeperiods,
escalations and such.
Of course I've tried it already and it "seems" to work. I still wonder
though, if I have to
expect any problems sooner or later? I know that I won't be able to use
the new
3.x features, like integrated extinfos, inherited contactgroups, multiple
templates and
the like - but I can live with it for now. I haven't tried if escalations
configured with
monarch will work, but I'd expect so.
The problem is that $CTO says: I want a webconfig for nagios, no excuses!
And I don't want to keep using 2.x anymore, since the performance of 3.x
and
especially the polished parent-checking are extremely valueable to us.

So, does anyone have any objections against using 2.x configs with 3.x?

Do I have to expect any problems Ethan?

Thanks for any input,

Sascha Runschke
Netzwerk- und Systemmanagement
Abt. Organisation und Betrieb - IT-Infrastruktur
Telefon : +49 (201) 102-1879
Mobile : +49 (173) 5419665
Fax : +49 (201) 102-1102105

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Dr. Peter Jänsch (Vors.), Jürgen Baltes, Dr. Till Ergenzinger, Dr. Tom Haverkamp
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Georg F. Thoma
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522