Alerts based on performance data

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Wed Feb 13 20:53:18 CET 2008

<SNIP>
> > The simplest way I can see doing that is to define a
> > service_perfdata_command that compares the service-perfdata
> to a table
> > and if it is above the predefined value in sends and NSCA message to
> the
> > service (e.g. "response time too long" or whatever).
> However, I don't
> > want to reinvent the wheel if someone has done this kind of thing
> > before.
>
> Why aren't these workable?
>
> check_http --help
>
> -w, --warning=DOUBLE
>     Response time to result in warning status (seconds)  -c,
> --critical=DOUBLE
>     Response time to result in critical status (seconds)

> Or, you already have a wrapper that's intercepting the
> check_http results, doing something with them and sending
> them on to nagios. Why not just include that rather simple
> logic in the wrapper? If the time is too long, return
> CRITICAL to nagios along with appropriate output otherwise
> return the results reported by check_http.

The wrapper grew historically, so it is difficult to replace it. Plus we
have some querystrings we need to pass with character that make NRPE
puke. So all we pass to the remote machine is the service name and it
parses a config file for the URL, stearch string, etc. and then calls
check_http, a special version of check_http for SSL3, or even wget
because need to download and check a file via FTP.

What I could do is pass an extra parameter or two to the remote command
(-w/-c) indicating the max time for the web access and then return the
values to NRPE as appropriate. That way there is no external logic and
all of the parameters are defined with the service. That seems to do the
trick.

Regards,

Jim Mohr