check_mysql not using ~nagios/.my.cnf on RHEL 4 withNagios 2.10 (Dag repository RPM)

Goltz, Jim (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] jgoltz at mail.nih.gov
Tue Feb 12 21:52:22 CET 2008

Sorry for the HTML last time.

> I'm running Nagios 2.10 quite successfully on Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> 4.  However, I can't seem to get check_mysql to use the proper
> configuration files.

Some more info:

I managed to run check_mysql from a shell script that actually runs the
plugin under "strace", which records every system call.  From the command
line, check_mysql (via the MySQL library routines) looks for /etc/my.cnf,
/var/lib/mysql/my.cnf, and /home/jgoltz/.my.cnf, as it should.

However, the plugin as run by Nagios looks for /etc/my.cnf,
/var/lib/mysql/my.cnf, and "~/.my.cnf" -- in other words, it treats "~" as a literal file name instead of expanding it to the home directory of user "nagios".

I'm not sure what to make of that yet, but it seemed worth mentioning.

--
Jim Goltz <jgoltz at mail.nih.gov>
Contractor, Lockheed Martin