Noob questions

Patrick Morris patrick.morris at hp.com
Sat Feb 9 00:22:05 CET 2008

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008, PT Web Services wrote:

> First of all i want to say hello. I am a new user of Nagios and allot of
> things still elude me on this brilliant piece of software.
>
> I want to modify the alert mails, but i am unable to find where this can
> be done...

This depends completely on how your Nagios installation is configured.
Somewhere in there your command(s) to send email notification should be
defined, and somewhere else you'll find the command that actually does
the mailing.  There's a good chance a file search for "mail" would be
your friend here.

> Also i am having problems with permissions when installing nagvis or
> other scripts that use a sub-dir of the share directory, When opened in
> a browser i get permission denied or Error 500 Internal server error.
>
> What should be the default permissions on this share directory and all
> its subs?

As long as your webserver can read the directories, you're fine.
However, a 500 error from a webserver does not usually indicate a
permission error; it's usually an indicator that you're trying to run a
script that's failing.  Your webserver errer logs would be a good place
to look for more details.