How to submit passive test results from a script?

Aaron M. Segura aaron.segura at cabelas.com
Wed Feb 6 17:12:35 CET 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 10:42 -0500, Tom Wlodek wrote:

> > Either via NSCA or External Commands.
>
> Sorry for the stupid question - but what is NCSA?

I'll let my friend google answer that one, because he is more worldly
and knowledgeable than I:
http://www.google.com/search?q=nagios+nsca

Short Answer:  NSCA is a daemon that accepts check results from the
network on behalf of nagios.

> > Since you're local to the nagios server with this script, external
> > commands would probably be the way to go.
> >
> > http://www.nagios.org/developerinfo/externalcommands/commandlist.php
> >
> > Specifically:
> > http://www.nagios.org/developerinfo/externalcommands/commandinfo.php?command_id=114
> >

> Thise services assume that you are on the local machine and can write to
> the commands file. But what about a situation when a remote user wants
> to submit a test result? Is there a cgi page in nagios to fill where he
> can submit the result?

I thought your question pre-supposed the script was local to the server
box?  If you are on a remote host you can submit results via NSCA (see
link above).  You could, of course, always just script a web transaction
using the CGI's, but that's soooooo 1997. :)

Also, please always reply on-list so other people can learn from your
experience.